Dubbed the Nature Island of the Caribbean, the former British Colony, Dominica (not to be confused with the Dominican Republic) is an exotic, lush destination like no other.
Located in the middle of the Lesser Antillean chain, the mountainous island boasts of 365 rivers, gorgeous dark sand beaches and countless other natural features that will not just fascinate you, but will trigger your sense of adventure at almost every turn. Today, however, I'll highlight a few factors that make this 750 square kilometre gem of a country such a paradise to Digital Nomads.
Firstly, you might be asking, who am I? I'm Ron , a Digital Marketing consultant who's lived in a few places and knows how to help your business achieve their sales & marketing goals through Digital practices. Needless to say, I too am a nomad who enjoys taking my work and business with me wherever I go.
With that being said, here's why you should consider Dominica as your next stop on your Nomadic journey.
1) Tropical Climate: Dominica has a tropical climate, hot and humid all year round, with a relatively cool and dry season from January to mid-April and a hot, humid and rainy season from mid-June to mid-November. The perils of winter don't exists in this lush island, so you can rest assured that your swim trunks & bikinis will not go to waste when you're planning your stay.
2) Internet Connectivity: The ISP's on island provide very respectable broadband internet speeds at decent prices. Furthermore, superfast, reliable LTE internet packages are available with the network providers as well, so you never have to fear being out of touch with your work & family whilst on the island. Additionally, it's easy to find Wi-Fi is available at most restaurants, bars, cafe's and public places.
3) It's Bloody Gorgeous : The island is literally instagram goals. Anyone from any age group can appreciate the natural, untouched beauty of this island. Breath taking views are never more than five minutes away. It would provide the ideal imagery for freelance photographers, graphic artists seeking inspiration or just any other nomad who prefers to work in an enhancing & stimulating environment.
4) It's very affordable to live : Dominica uses Eastern Caribbean Dollars (XCD) as the main currency, which converts to 37 US cents to 1 dollar or 28 pence if you're coming from the U.K. The cost of living in Dominica is still relatively low across the board. Rent, food, utilities, entertainment, for any remote worker or nomad earning any form of decent wage, you'll find Dominica to be extremely budget-friendly.
5) It's still relatively unknown : When the conversation comes up of great places for Nomads to move to and visit, Dominica tends not to be at the forefront of those discussions. Don't let the lack of popularity fool you, this emerging destination has a lot to offer and it's potential has only just began to be tapped into. That means that you can enjoy everything this immaculate island has to offer whilst it's still under the mainstream radar. You can experience a unique, mixed culture, pristine cuisine, radiant island vibrations, adventure at every corner and everything else that comes with being in paradise.
6) It's COVID safe & very welcoming: The pandemic has definitely been quite a tragic and dreadful experience for many people & many nations, however much credit must be given to this resilient country for how they have handled it. For the year of 2020, there were less that 100 recorded cases of COVID-19 in Dominica and a remarkable 0 total deaths. The safety protocols in place at the ports of entry are a major reason for this. Quarantine is mandatory when one is traveling from a high risks country and rapid COVID tests are administered to every entrant on arrival. Health care on the island is also very respectable and accommodating to all.
So in a nutshell, Dominica is an emerging gem with a lot to offer to the global Digital Nomad community. It's a unique country with a colourful history & vibrant culture that will delivery you a wholistic & refreshing experience, one which you will surely cherish for the rest of your life.